Thursday, March 12, 2009

Stop the Merry-go-round...I wanna get off!

We all have multiple voices going on in our heads, some of us are just more aware of them than others.

Isn't it interesting how we can bring up an old argument in our heads (or create a new one for that matter) with a person who is not even in the room with us? We carry on the conversation for all parties involved, completely unaware of what is going on directly in front of us, boosting our own ego in an effort to feel better about ourselves...

Or what about the conversations we have in our heads with ourselves? That's right. You can admit it. Each on of us at some point or another is talking to ourselves albeit most of us don't do it out loud! Sometimes -for those of us are blessed to have some peace- the thoughts are good and benefit us and the quality of our lives. However, quite often we will put ourselves down, discourage our own success, and sabotage our own happiness simply with the thoughts in our own heads.

My first question when realizing this is why? Why would I do that? Why do I do that? I have spent much time contemplating this and the only answer I could come up with is this; there is no why. Asking myself why gets me stuck thinking about myself some more and probably not in the most positive ways. The only chance we have to free our minds is to simply notice when we are doing it and stop.

At first, this is easier said than done. But if you are struggling with this and just want some peace of mind from time to time, here are the solutions I have found to get me off merry-go-round. They are simple, but you know what they say, the best answers usually are.

Take a deep breath and focus on your breathing until the chatter stops. We cannot think about feeling an inhale and exhale, and anything else at the same time. If that is difficult, create a break in the thought cycle by writing down a positive replacement thought. Say it each time you notice you are caught up in repetitive thinking.

If you have other techniques that help you (positive ones!) please let me know! I need all the help I can get ;) Good luck and have fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

funnily enough, I read your blog right after you posted it, in a similar state of mind....swirling thoughts composed of judgments, many of which were self imposed (crazy?! right?!) and of fear and doubt, lack of faith in the entirety of the universe as if it would crumble in the cataclysms of the uproarious cosmos and we would all be sucked back into the void.....however I came back to understanding that this was only perspective, the sun never sets, it just seems to from a personal human angle...All that being said it is estranged to me the truth...at least the whole truth, it always is so elusive.. so I have found that hopping along the ride as instrument of divine will is the cure, any dose will do. Simple supple surrender, sparks serenity, lol (*that's my tip for you btw..."alliteration", day got you down, make those consonants flow, like the river of life!) anyways next second you know I completely remember that I am endowed with amazing grace, I am perfect, whole, ever evolving, and have been set free to soar among the light... Simply to play, and to gather others into this domain is an ensured quest that resides within me...

Don't get me wrong, I have been known to spin on the merry-go-round myself, and have gotten quite dizzy, and disoriented to the point that I didn't even know I was at the amusement park in the first place. In the dimness, frightened and obliterated, how can one be found...well miraculously this kind of finding doesn't need a search rescue team, simple as that...That's the key, or at least a key I use to enter back into the center into the now...I allow myself to know that I have been delivered into any situation & circumstance, whether it be mental, physical, emotional, or psycho-spiritual, or otherwise with full clearance. or rather should I say, a trial to teach one to be greater, an opportunity, and so all is blessed, every waking stride...

and back to the thoughts, this merry go round, even before you fall off it seems nauseating to the point where you could be permanently ill, and you are right there is no why, no reason, only justified nature & order, logic is treason as they say...whatever that means. I suppose that the highest of order is truth, and in that there is love, and in unconditionality, quite a bit of abstraction tends to seep in. it's a process, no doubt, a beautiful disaster a friend of mine always states, and here we are Gabi.....

Triumphant
Astounded
Resilient
Preserved fully
Pure and HOLY
Whole and full
yet empty and light


may we flutter our wings earthangel
: )

Gabi said...

Your the best my friend! thanks for that!!
xo
g

Anonymous said...

The voices in my head are coming together better as I get more centered spiritually and physically, but they are still loud and frequently fight over who gets to win the argument. I drift away in meetings frequently to listen to them argue or make suggestions to me. They frequently take me on a journey down dead end or waste my life in useless debate. They visit me in my dreams too. I am a frequent and vivid dreamer.

My two major voices in my head are the assertive guy and the passive guy. Through EMDR therapy, and other similar mediatative/therapy techniques, I have learned about these voices and am feeling more integrated.

Assertive guy wants to drive, to explore, to test the boundary, to hold firm boundaries, to not be used or insulted, to guard the fort and all within it, to hunt, to seek, to make changes, to foresake comfort for progress, and to be a realist.

Passive guy wants to be safe, to have serenity, to not rock the boat, to get along with others at the expense of sacraficing personal boundaries, to share, to be nurtured, to not be vulnerable, to be comfortable physically and emotionally quiet, and to be idealistic.

The newest (third) member of the entourage I carry around inside my head is the 10 yr old boy. He has always been there, of course, but I didn't pay attention to him. He is hidden and doesn't come out much, but he sends me messages. I want to meet him someday soon and make peace with him for letting him down 35 years ago. I want to show him the beautiful and safe things we do for fun today and protect him from harm again. His name is Steve.