Go ahead, call me a tree hugger, hippie, granola, whatever you like.... but I get such an energy boost from being out in the middle of nature! Especially in the mountains in the northwest!
This past weekend I spent some time in Oregon. I was standing on a ridgeline across from the summit of Mt. Hood and was overwhelmed by the view which was 360 degrees and included 5 different snowcapped mountain peaks! It was breathtaking... Not to mention there were butterflies flying all around, posing for me to take photos of.
This is where I find my serenity. In the middle of the mountains, surrounded by thousands of trees, a few streams, a lake, and an occasional (harmless!) animal. I love to watch how the sun streams through the trees and lights up small patches of leaves or a small trickle of water coming off the mountain. I can truly get lost in the sight of it...and the heavy scent of pine on a cool breeze...awh yeah, there's nothing like it.
I actually feel lighter, less constricted, in this environment. I can breath easier. I am reminded of how small and insignificant I am and somehow this brings me peace. Knowing that there is something wonderful and much greater than me out there that is able to create something as spectacular as this; makes my proverbial "cup" runneth over.
What fills you up?
2 comments:
Gabi, What a beautiful description. I could feel the nature around you. And butterflies? Not surprised:)
L,K.
My cup is filled by all sorts of stuff. I love to hear live music. I don't know what it is about live music but unless it is angry or really vulgar, most live music makes me want to dance or sing or at the very least, smile.
I also love to be near water. A quite lake, a vast and endless sea. Powerful.
And truthfully I LOVE big cities. Not Phoenix,
I mean New York and Chicago. I love that there is endless energy there. At any given moment there is probably someone laughing, crying, sneezing, getting engaged, getting divorced, jumping, biking, walking, late for work, I love it. I love to sit at a coffee shop and get into a good book in the middle of it all. Usually I end up people watching, but I just LOVE that hustle of energy. Depending on my mood, the crowd is either positive or negative. When I am in a good place, colors are brighter, rain smells better, people smile more, I smile at them. Conversely, when I am in a bad place, everyone around me is angry, impatient and I see mostly the ugly side. That is not just in the city, that's really everywhere. But I adore NY and Chicago.
Finally, my cup runneth over when I am with close friends and my family - my sister really. I miss her terribly and I love sharing laughs with friends. I seem to have missed out on the private joke era that most people got in highschool or college or marriage. I haven't "hung" with the same crowd for extended period of time so I feel special when I make a memory today. DOes that make sense? Like the more I let go and participate, the more moments I get to share with friends and laugh about later.
Post a Comment